A very easy and cost-effective way to make your trees healthier is to apply mulch material. Mulching accomplishes several benefits:
1. It retains moisture for surface roots during hot summer months
2. Insulates delicate roots from freezing
3. Discourages mechanical damage from mowers and trimmers
4. Eliminates competing grass roots that are more aggressive that tree roots.
Follow these tips when mulching:
1. Do not pile mulch too high. Piling can lead to disease and trunk bark damage from insects.
2. A larger diameter is better.
3. Buy premium material that has been treated. Keep in mind that some mulch is nothing more than ground-up dead trees containing insects and harmful fungi brought in by tree companies to become mulch sold to the public.